I am a Professor at the Graduate School of Economics, Osaka University. I have a BA from the University of Tokyo and a Ph.D. from Princeton University. Taking a sabbatical leave, I have been staying at the ISEG in Lisbon from April 2021 to August 2022.
I am a theoretical economist with strong interests in applications. My research primarily focuses on Game Theory, Industrial Organization, and Market Design. I have published papers in top economics journals, including American Economic Review, AEJ: Microeconomics, Journal of Economic Theory, and RAND Journal of Economics, as well as leading journals in other fields such as AAMAS, Artificial Intelligence, and Scientific Reports. As an editor/co-author/supervisor, I have published over 30 books. I have also contributed around 250 articles to newspapers, economic magazines, and online media.
Below is the link to the courses that I have taught. By going to each page you can download lecture slides, homeworks, solutions, etc.
- 2014 – Now at Osaka University and some other places.
- 2007 – 2013 at GRIPS.
- Lecture Slides (in English)
- I am a co-founder of Economics Design Inc. that aims to utilize economics in business.
- My twitter account has over 32,000 followers; ranked 1st amoung Japanese economists who registered IDEAS.
- As a commentator/navigator, I have appeared on TV programs more than 500 times.
- As a speaker/paneslist/moderator, I have attended over 100 lectures and seminars.
- As a member, I have participated in several government and public sector committees.
- Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, 2018 – present.
- Ministry of the Environment, 2018 – 19, 2021 – present.
- Financial Services Agency, 2014 – 16.
- February 2023 – My paper “Moral Hazard and Subjective Evaluation” (co-authored with Shingo Ishiguro) got accepted by the Journal of Economic Theory. New!
- December 2022 – My paper “Inspecting Cartels over Time: With and without Leniency Program” (co-authored with Takako Fujiwara-Greve) received Graeme Woodbridge Prize (the best antitrust paper) from the APIOC 2022 conference.
- October 2022 – I just uploaded the following new paper on sequential voting (motivated by “Squid Game”) with Yuichiro Kamada (UC Berkeley).
- April 2022 – I will present the following paper at University of Glasgow (Microtheory Seminar) on April 12.
- Squid Voting Game: Rational Indecisiveness in Sequential Voting’ (co-authored with Yuichiro Kamada (UC Berkeley))
- April 2022 – I will present the following paper at NOVA (Seminar on Economics of Education) on April 1.
- March 2022 – I will present the following paper at ISEG University of Lisbon (Lisbon Micro Gropup) on March 29.
- March 2022 – I just uploaded the following new paper on cartel investigation and leniency program co-authored with Takako Fujiwara-Greve (Keio U.).
- January 2022 – I substantially revised the following paper on repeated games co-authored with Takako Fujiwara-Greve (Keio U.).
- November 2021 – The following paper on moral hazard problems co-authored with Shingo Ishiguro (at Osaka U.) becomes R&R at the Journal of Economic Theory.
- August 2021 – I completed two manuscripts on matching theory, both co-authored with Yuanju Fang (my Ph.D. student at Osaka U.). The SSRN link for each paper is below.
Conference Talks in 2022 (by me or co-author)
- May 28-29 — 2022 JEA Spring Meeting, Virtual, Japan. (by co-author)
- June 9-11 — The 12th Conference on Economic Design, Padova, Italy.
- June 22-24 — Asian Meeting of the Econometric Society in China 2022, Virtual, China. (by co-author)
- July 8-9 — 15th Annual Meeting of the Portuguese Economic Journal, Azores, Portugal.
- August 8-10 — 2022 Asian Meeting of the Econometric Society in East and South-East Asia, Tokyo, Japan. (by co-author)
- August 22-26 — EEA-ESEM 2022, Milano, Italy.
- August 25-27 — EARIE 2022, Vienna, Austria.
- December 9-11 — APIOC 2022, Sydney, Australia. (by co-author)
Last update: March 2023